Sailing the USVI’s

Day 1: After we land we grab a taxi amidst the chaos at the aiport and head to Compass Point Marina where Chris and Calla start organizing the boat and I head to the store for provisions ($750 later and we are set)! It is almost 1730 so we cast off the lines and motor around the corner to Secret Harbor beach for the evening and enjoy our first dinner on the boat. After just a few prompts Calla used the facilities (AKA: astro turf pee pad) we bought her on the back of the boat. The next morning we are up bright and early excited to start our day.


Day 2: The winds are howling (30 knots) as we head to Water Island and Honeymoon beach. It was a spirited sail as Chris would say as we had 10-12 foot waves and we were beating into the wind for the entire 1-1.5 hours to St. Thomas. Once we arrived we found a crowded anchorage with live music playing. We headed into shore for some playtime on the beach with Calla and shared a pain killer and a bushwacker drink (very boozy) before heading back to the boat for dinner.












Pizza Pi

Day 3: We spent the morning taking care of chores. We took the dinghy over to Crown Point Marina for some extra provisioning and they had a great selection of wine. Calla did great by herself on the boat for the first time other than she made her way down to the stateroom and could not make her way back up the steep stairs. After picking up anchor we headed over to Yacht Haven Grande in Charlotte Amalie near the cruise ships and Chris did a quick run to Kmart to pick up some supplies before we headed to Christmas Cove and the much anticipated Pizza Pi. We had a great spot, but another boat decided to pull up virtually on top of us and rather than getting into an argument we picked up anchor and moved closer to the shore (Chris insisted it was good practice for me). After exploring the area by dinghy we ordered our pizza for the evening and pulled up to the boat to pick it up and bring back to the boat to enjoy with a bottle of wine.








Day 4: We had a slight mishap yesterday… Okay, I made a HUGE mistake as I had never used a Mantus anchor before and did not realize I was not pulling it up all of the way so it had been bashing against the anchor locker hull every time we sailed to the point of breaking through. Chris took the dinghy to Red Hook to pick up some Epoxy and Calla and I stayed behind to relax on the boat with a good book. As luck would have it, Chris ran into Sailing Doodles filling up with fuel on the dock… I was beyond jealous! After he made his way back to the boat we picked up anchor and sailed to our favorite stop yet (Little Lameshur Bay). It was a virtually secluded beach with amazing snorkeling and hiking. We loved it so much that we stayed an extra day.

Day 5: We finally had a chance to relax after knocking out boat chores and enjoyed a morning hike to Yawzi point and checked out an old sugar mill near the beach. We also spent a few hours snorkeling and saw a spotted eagle ray, an octopus, and several beautiful fish. That evening we dinghied around to Great Lameshur and checked out the bay next door.   It was quite the adventure for Calla who decided to take an afternoon nap! The next morning we were off to the BVI’s….

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>